Black Beauty is an 1877 novel by local English author Anna Sewell which became an immediate best-seller going on to become one of the best-selling books of all time around the world.
Anna Sewell wrote Black Beauty from her home in Norwich over seven years (read our blog post about her here). The novel (Anna’s only novel) was published by local family publishers – Jarrold & Sons. Today Jarrolds no longer publishes books however it does have a large independent department store in the Norwich Lanes with an impressive book department (amongst others)!
Norwich is a UNESCO City of Literature and with that the city is proud to commemorate its many local authors.
Black Beauty 140th anniversary events include:
- Cecil Aldin: The Art of Black Beauty exhibition at The Museum of Norwich at the Bridewell (25 July – 25 Nov). Free entry during the first two weeks of the exhibition and a free activities programme throughout the summer included with admission.
- Author events, children’s activities and competitions at Jarrolds department store throughout the summer.
- Finding Black Beauty with Lou Kuenzler (free event)
- Writing Workshop with Lou Kuenzler (free with museum entrance)
- Woodforde’s Ales Black Beauty exclusively on sale in Jarrolds Deli.
- Black Beauty Afternoon Tea in Benji’s in Jarrolds.
- Visit the real life Black Beauty - otherwise known as Maya - at Redwings Horse Sanctuary in Aylsham.
- Redwings Open Day - 23 July.
- Black Beauty themed stay packages in Norwich at the Maids Head hotel from £155 per couple and £250 for a family (2 adults, 2 children).